Sunday, March 13, 2005

We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties. Please Stand By.

I hate Windows 98SE!

Unfortunately my primary computer is a Toshiba laptop with 192 MB RAM, a 6-gig hard drive, running (wait for it!) Windows 98SE. Hardly a day goes by that I don’t get The Blue Screen of Death and have to restart, often two or three times. It has become one of those things I live with – like chronic pain.

Yesterday I did a stupid thing. I downloaded one of those updates MS is always telling you is essential to the security and well-being of your computer and, thus, your life. After installing it I shut the computer down to have breakfast. When I got back to it an hour or so later, it wouldn’t start. It would do one of three things: give me The Blue Screen of Death; give me an attractive blank screen that faded from almost black in the upper right corner to a light gray in the lower left corner; or give me my normal desktop only in a two-by-two tiled array with a strip of rainbow colors between the upper row and the lower row. In each case I had to turn the computer off.

I had no clue as to what was going on. (Yeah, yeah. I know. I was having one of my dense days.) I have been expecting this computer to crash beyond resurrection for some time now, so I figured this was it. Then I discovered I could start it in Safe Mode. Cool! I could plug in my thumb drive, download all my newest files, reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows.

Those of you more familiar with the inner workings of Windows than I might have already known that while operating in Safe Mode the USB ports do not work. Thus I could not, in one easy, quick operation, dump my files to the thumb drive.

Fine.

My computer doesn’t have a CD writer, so I’ll zip my files to the floppy. Thirty-some-odd floppies later, I’m as done as I have the patience to be. Now I slip my Windows 98SE CD into the computer preparatory to reformatting the hard drive. Guess what? In Safe Mode the CD drive doesn’t work either!

Now what?

Nursing a hypertensive headache I decide to make some popcorn and watch “Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon” with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. This is part of a 10-movie set that I got at Best Buy for about fourteen bucks. Well worth the money.

I suppose watching The Great Detective at work influenced me. When I returned to the computer, I remembered the old saw, “When your computer doesn’t work after installing new software, the most common cause is the new software.” Blinding insight! All I had to do was uninstall those nasty Windows updates. But how?

I knew it couldn’t be as simple as going into Control Panel and clicking on Add/Remove Software, but what the hell. I gave it a try. Lo and behold, there they were! Those insidious updates were listed plain as could be in the software roster. Quick as a bunny I uninstalled those suckers and rebooted. On the second reboot I knew things were back to normal. On the third reboot everything came up and worked. Hallelujah!

At that point I wanted nothing more to do with computers for the rest of the day.

I hate Windows 98SE.

2 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Bob. I'm supposed to know a lot about computers and how to fix things--let me give you my secret: "Trial and Error". Which you used...:)

As far as the Sherlock Holms DVDs go, they're pretty good. Have you heard any of the old time radio shows down by Nigel Bruce and Basil Rathbone? Good stuff...

Christopher

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger ibrahim said...

Really trustworthy blog. Please keep updating with great posts like this one. I have booked marked your site and am about to email it to a few friends of mine that I know would enjoy reading
Sesli sohbet Sesli chat
Seslisohbet Seslichat
Sesli sohbet siteleri Sesli chat siteleri
Sesli Chat
Sohbet Sesli siteler
Sohbet siteleri Chat siteleri
Sohbet merkezi chat merkezi
Sesli merkezi sesli Sohbet merkezi
Sesli chat merkezi Sohbetmerkezi
Sesli Sohbet Sesli Chat
SesliSohbet Sesli chat siteleri
Sesli sohbet siteleri SesliChat
Sesli Sesli siteler
Seslimuhabbet sesli muhabbet
sesli sohbet sesli chat siteleri
sesli sohbet siteleri sesli chat
seslisohbet seslichat
seslikent sesli kent
sesli sohbet sesli sohbet siteleri
sesli chat sesli chat siteleri
seslisohbet seslichat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home