Saturday, February 12, 2005

Building the Foundation

I found this on Simon Waldman's blog today. Simon is the Director of Digital Publishing for the Guardian Newspapers. He was talking about news publishing on the web, but what he said applies just as well to fiction publishing on the web.

My overall feeling - as I’ve banged on about repeatedly, is that we are seeing the start of a series of moves that will take us from a world of online publishing that is really printing without paper, to a media environent unlike any other we have previously operated in. And, exactly who will make money out of it, how they’ll make it, and how much they’ll make is still unclear.

Photojournalists have an expression that the best aperture is ‘F/8 and be there’. In otherwords - forget technical wizardry - if you’re in the right place at the right time and pointing your camera in the right direction, you’re 90% of the way there. And I think that’s the same with this. This isn’t about fine tuned strategies and trying to work it out in meeting rooms for the next year. Point and shoot and see what happens. [emphasis mine]

This is what I am groping toward with this blog and my rants on short story publishing. The fact is we don't know what is going to work, and even the smartest, most perceptive people out there haven't got a clue how to predict what will work. The only thing we can do is try something and see what happens. Most of the time we'll probably do a face plant, but what the hell, it's only cyberspace. The ground is soft.

3 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Point and shoot...that's what I'm doing.

I don't have any idea about how to edit, publish or market ezines, yet I'm publishing one. I figure I'll learn on the fly...and, if I fall, it can't hurt too bad.

Christopher

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Bob said...

Great attitude! Give it a shot. You can't succeed if you don't try. (There ought to be another couple of cliches I can throw in here. Oh, well.)

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger ibrahim said...

Really trustworthy blog. Please keep updating with great posts like this one. I have booked marked your site and am about to email it to a few friends of mine that I know would enjoy reading
Sesli sohbet Sesli chat
Seslisohbet Seslichat
Sesli sohbet siteleri Sesli chat siteleri
Sesli Chat
Sohbet Sesli siteler
Sohbet siteleri Chat siteleri
Sohbet merkezi chat merkezi
Sesli merkezi sesli Sohbet merkezi
Sesli chat merkezi Sohbetmerkezi
Sesli Sohbet Sesli Chat
SesliSohbet Sesli chat siteleri
Sesli sohbet siteleri SesliChat
Sesli Sesli siteler
Seslimuhabbet sesli muhabbet
sesli sohbet sesli chat siteleri
sesli sohbet siteleri sesli chat
seslisohbet seslichat
seslikent sesli kent
sesli sohbet sesli sohbet siteleri
sesli chat sesli chat siteleri
seslisohbet seslichat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home