Sunday, January 09, 2005

Geoffrey Says

"Geoffrey Says" by Aliya Whiteley, Shred of Evidence, November 2004

This seems to be the issue for stories that stretch back to mother. In this one mother and son also come into conflict with dire consequences, but that is the only similarity.
Geoffrey is born in the young boy's mind as the font of all wisdom filtered through his mother. Eventually Geoffrey takes the form of an emerald green penguin with anthropomorphic tendencies. Why emerald green and why a penguin, I don't know, but it works. Soon enough Geoffrey begins to speak directly to the main character and contradicts the advice of Mother. From then on, things go downhill for the promising young man, though he doesn't think so.

Ms. Whiteley draws the main character skillfully and increases his delusional life throughout the story. This makes his final escalation believable.

The end of the story holds a couple of surprises. You see Mom had a secret, a secret that she managed to conceal from her son throughout his life. The ending is pretty twisty.

In short, I enjoyed the story, and I expect you will too.

[Couldn't get on Shred this morning to get the direct link to the story.]

5 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I really enjoyed this story as well, but I guess I'm a bit biased since I published an earlier story by Aliya in SHOTS in late '03. Still, she really has the goods and I hope we see a lot more from her.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Bob said...

I hope so, too, Sarah. I'll be happy to read anything she does.

 
At 3:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I'm currently working on some new stories and have some other bits and pieces, including my first novel, a psychological drama, available! More details can be found on my website at http://www.geocities.com/aliyawhiteley/index.html. Thanks again... Aliya

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Bob said...

You're welcome, Aliya. Let me know when your stuff comes out.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger ibrahim said...

Really trustworthy blog. Please keep updating with great posts like this one. I have booked marked your site and am about to email it to a few friends of mine that I know would enjoy reading
Sesli sohbet Sesli chat
Seslisohbet Seslichat
Sesli sohbet siteleri Sesli chat siteleri
Sesli Chat
Sohbet Sesli siteler
Sohbet siteleri Chat siteleri
Sohbet merkezi chat merkezi
Sesli merkezi sesli Sohbet merkezi
Sesli chat merkezi Sohbetmerkezi
Sesli Sohbet Sesli Chat
SesliSohbet Sesli chat siteleri
Sesli sohbet siteleri SesliChat
Sesli Sesli siteler
Seslimuhabbet sesli muhabbet
sesli sohbet sesli chat siteleri
sesli sohbet siteleri sesli chat
seslisohbet seslichat
seslikent sesli kent
sesli sohbet sesli sohbet siteleri
sesli chat sesli chat siteleri
seslisohbet seslichat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home