Thursday, December 09, 2004

Rope-A-Dope

"Rope-A-Dope" by Paul A. Toth, Plots With Guns, Nov/Dec, 2004

OK, copper, put away the rubber hose. I'll confess.

I didn't get it.

I read the story from start to finish. When I got to the end, my first reaction was: "Huh?" My second reaction was: "Is that all?" My third reaction was: "So what?"

So, I thought about it for a while and read it a second time. I still didn't get it. There was one phrase that really caught my attention: "the whizbang bebop of ultracolor chaos spinning her wheels." It doesn't make any sense, but I liked it anyway. Unfortunately that was the high point. The story read well enough - except for the DIALECT. But I just didn't get it.

So, I went to bed. I got up this morning and read it again. Again, I didn't get it. Maybe there's something hidden in the DIALECT that I missed, because I skipped over it. In case you hadn't guessed, dialect is one of my Pet Peeves. In addition the motivations for the main character's deeds weren't clear to me, or at least didn't seem sufficient for the actions taken.

Maybe I'm just having one of my dense periods. My wife tells me I have those occasionally, well, more than occasionally. But I didn't get it.