Monday, December 20, 2004

Nice Tie

"Nice Tie" by Candace Wiggins, Hardluck Stories, Fall 2004

This story has nothing of a criminous nature in the first 90% of the tale, but the writing is so good you don't care. The interaction between Trace and Kate is terrific. There is a true attraction between the two that keeps things going.

I haven't hung around the art scene much, but I have hung around a lot of architects who are, by nature, artsy. The showing and the after-showing party seemed completely authentic to me.

I'm not sure how she did it, but Ms. Wiggins had me convinced from the first page that something important was going to happen. I wasn't sure what it was, but I was determined to find out.

When it happens, it happens off stage. And, unusually for me, I didn't care. In fact, it's probably better than it happened out of the reader's sight. I believe the attractiveness and the likeability of the main characters would have suffered had we been baldly presented with the ultimate act.

Now someone who has read the story will have to leave a comment telling me whether I was completely blind in not noticing one important fact about the couple of Kate and Trace before they begin to explain the significance of the phrase "nice tie". I swear I had no clue.

There was a hint in Ms. Wiggins' bio that Trace and Kate might make a return appearance. I'm already looking forward to that.

4 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Blogger Candace said...

Hello Bob,
Candace Wiggins here. Thanks much for your very kind review of "Nice Tie". I loved that story -- drawn from a bit of an actual occurrence -- and knew there was something of a kick to it. Al Guthrie and Dave Z see beyond the usual, took a chance and am I glad they did. Dave's site is great to begin with and I learned so much more from him and from Al, who guest edited that issue.

This type review makes me want to keep on writing. The other type makes me want to keep on writing, too. Only with a touch of "Faster, Pussycat, Kill, Kill!" added.

(*Great* hat, by the way!)
Candace Wiggins

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Bob said...

Candace said, "*Great* hat, by the way."

I wonder if I should be looking over my shoulder?

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger Hardluck Writer said...

"Nice Tie" = Very Nice Story

Although if I ever meet up with Candace, I'm going tieless!

-Dave Z.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger ibrahim said...

Really trustworthy blog. Please keep updating with great posts like this one. I have booked marked your site and am about to email it to a few friends of mine that I know would enjoy reading
Sesli sohbet Sesli chat
Seslisohbet Seslichat
Sesli sohbet siteleri Sesli chat siteleri
Sesli Chat
Sohbet Sesli siteler
Sohbet siteleri Chat siteleri
Sohbet merkezi chat merkezi
Sesli merkezi sesli Sohbet merkezi
Sesli chat merkezi Sohbetmerkezi
Sesli Sohbet Sesli Chat
SesliSohbet Sesli chat siteleri
Sesli sohbet siteleri SesliChat
Sesli Sesli siteler
Seslimuhabbet sesli muhabbet
sesli sohbet sesli chat siteleri
sesli sohbet siteleri sesli chat
seslisohbet seslichat
seslikent sesli kent
sesli sohbet sesli sohbet siteleri
sesli chat sesli chat siteleri
seslisohbet seslichat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home