Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Edward at the Edge

"Edward at the Edge" by John Morgan Wilson, Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, January, 2005

I had hopes for this story. From a technical standpoint, the English language technical standpoint, I had nothing to criticize. The story was quite easy to read with no rhetorical speed bumps to throw me out of the author's world. Unfortunately I can't say the same for other issues.

In the early part of the story while talking about a gun, a nine-millimeter Ruger, lent to another character, the main character makes the following statement: "It's a nine-millimeter. Nice gun, blue plate, doesn't weigh much. Bought it on impulse from a catalog last year." My God, where do I start? Mr. Wilson has obviously never physically handled such a weapon in his life. Ruger makes more than one kind of nine-mil but you won't find one that weighs less than about 2-1/2 pounds. It's "blue steel" or "blued steel" not blue plate, and you can't buy such a weapon through a catalog these days. This pretty much ruined the author's credibility for me.

And it just got worse. The whole case, a rather vigorous murder, rested on forensic trace evidence supposedly left less than an hour ago that was actually deposited during an athletic sexual encounter a month before the murder. I don't know a lot about forensic science, but I've gotta think that if a CSI crew is good enough to detect trace evidence after the passage of a month and multiple cleanings, they'd have to be a little suspicious about finding no evidence that the accused had recently entered or left the house, not to mention the lack of gunshot residue on the accused's hands and clothes.

I have been told, on occasion, that I am a picker of technical nits, that the things I notice would not be noticed or cared about by 99% of the general public. I'm an engineer. Deal with it! I have to say, though, that in this case the nit was the size of an elephant.

You're a skillful writer, Mr. Morgan. Next time, please do your research.

6 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Blogger ibrahim said...

Really trustworthy blog. Please keep updating with great posts like this one. I have booked marked your site and am about to email it to a few friends of mine that I know would enjoy reading
Sesli sohbet Sesli chat
Seslisohbet Seslichat
Sesli sohbet siteleri Sesli chat siteleri
Sesli Chat
Sohbet Sesli siteler
Sohbet siteleri Chat siteleri
Sohbet merkezi chat merkezi
Sesli merkezi sesli Sohbet merkezi
Sesli chat merkezi Sohbetmerkezi
Sesli Sohbet Sesli Chat
SesliSohbet Sesli chat siteleri
Sesli sohbet siteleri SesliChat
Sesli Sesli siteler
Seslimuhabbet sesli muhabbet
sesli sohbet sesli chat siteleri
sesli sohbet siteleri sesli chat
seslisohbet seslichat
seslikent sesli kent
sesli sohbet sesli sohbet siteleri
sesli chat sesli chat siteleri
seslisohbet seslichat

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Steve Soucy said...

I'm turning this short story into a short film - shooting in August. Would love for you to read my script - if you're at all interested! I can be reached at shsoucy@gmail.com. Thanks. Steve

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Jessa French said...

Great blog! I'd love to read this short story, but haven't been able to find it. (I don't have it's original publication and haven't found any leads online). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! My email is: jessafrenchwebsite@gmail.com Thanks in advance!

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger MackTheKnife said...

Jessa, the story was originally published in 2005 in Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine. If it's not on their website about the only place you might be able to find it would be a library or used book store.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Steve Soucy said...

I shared a copy of it.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Riyan Cilacap said...

Thank You Verry Much, Ijin nitip gan dan trimaksih atas infonya

Obat Sakit Kelamin De Nature
Pengobatan Kutil Kelamin
Cara Mengobati Kutil Kelamin
Kutil Kelamin
Obat Kutil Kelamin
Obat Condyloma
Obat Jengger Ayam
Obat Sipilis
Obat Gonore
Obat Raja Singa
Obat Kencing Nanah
Obat Chlamydia
Obat Herpes
Obat Herpes Genital
Obat Herpes Kelamin
Obat Herpes Zoster
Obat Herpes Badan
Obat Jengger Ayam
Obat Kutil Kelamin
Obat Kondiloma
Obat Condyloma Accuminata
Obat Jengger Ayam Pria Dan Wanita
Obat Kutil Kelamin Pada Pria Dan Wanita

 

Post a Comment

<< Home